Caressant Care Nursing and Retirement Homes, Limited (CCHRH) is committed to protecting the privacy of residents and ensuring the security of their personal health information. We also maintain the confidentiality of health care records. Our commitment extends to individuals who provide personal information to us as defined by the Personal Health Information Protection Act (PIPEDA as well as to users of this website.
The practices, as outlined in this privacy statement seek to balance the individual's right to the privacy of his or her "personal information" in concert with CCNRH's need to collect, use or disclose personal information required for legitimate business purposes.
What is "personal information"?
Under PIPEDA, personal information includes any factual or subjective information, recorded or not, about an identifiable individual. This includes information in any form, such as:
- age, name, ID numbers, income, ethnic origin, or blood type;
- opinions, evaluations, comments, social status, or disciplinary actions; and
- employee files, credit records, loan records, medical records, existence of a dispute between a consumer and a merchant, intentions (for example, to acquire goods or services, or change jobs).
As a responsible organization, CCNRH, Ltd. follows the PIPEDA fair information principles concerning the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. These principles are:
- Accountability for safeguarding personal information
- Identifying Purposes for the collection of information
- Obtaining Consent before collection, using or disclosing personal information unless where permitted or required by law
- Limiting the Collection of Information that is only necessary for business purposes
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention of the information for the original purpose intended and obtaining consent to use the information for a different purpose
- Ensure Accuracy of the information collected
- Through security measures, Safeguard Personal Information
- Provide Openness concerning the organizations policies and practices relevant to managing personal information
- Provide you with requested Access to Your Personal Information
- Challenge the organizations' Compliance to ensure your privacy is maintained and there is adherence to policy
By providing us with your personal information, you consent to the collection, use and disclosure of that information as described in this Statement.
We will not, as a condition of supplying a product or service, require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information beyond that required to enable us to provide the products or services requested. The form of the consent that we will seek before collecting, using or disclosing personal information may vary depending upon the circumstances and the type of information, and includes express oral or written consent or implied consent. We will consider the sensitivity of the information and the individual's reasonable expectations in determining how consent must be given.
You may refuse to give personal information and may, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice, withdraw consent at any time to the continued use and disclosure of personal information previously collected. The period of reasonable notice will vary depending on the nature of the information and its purpose to CCNRH. CCNRH will inform you of the implications of refusing or withdrawing consent, which may have legal consequences or preclude CCNRH from providing the services or other consideration requested.
Permitted uses and disclosures of personal health information
- In accordance with PHIPA, we may use and disclose your personal health information:
- To treat and care for you.
- To receive payment for your treatment and care (e.g. from OHIP, WSIB, your private insurer, or others payors).
- To conduct risk management activities.
- To conduct quality improvement activities
- For teaching purposes.
- To conduct research.
- To compile statistics.
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
- To fulfill other purposes as permitted or required by law.
It's Your Choice
Where your consent is required for any collection, use or disclosure of your personal health information, you may withdraw or withhold consent by contacting Caressant Care Nursing and Retirement Homes, Limited Privacy Office.
What Personal Information do we collect?
CCNRH only collects the amount and type of information that which is needed to provide care and services to you and/or as permitted by law.
How do we collect and use your information?
- to offer and provide long-term care and/or retirement housing information about its services to you, your family or substitute decision maker;
- to review and if appropriate, circulate your application for employment to the appropriate hiring department;
- as permitted or required by law or for purposes for which you otherwise provide your consent.
Use of Personal Information
CCNRH only uses personal information as disclosed in this Statement or as otherwise permitted or required by law. Before your personal information is used or disclosed for a new purpose, we will ask for your consent unless use or disclosure without your consent in the circumstances is otherwise permitted or required by law.
Retention of Personal Information
CCNRH will retain information, including personal information, for as long as it is needed for the purposes for which it was collected and as permitted by legislation. For example, if CCNRH received personal information from you electronically, i.e., applying through our website for employment, we will retain your personal information for a reasonable period to permit future consideration for employment. CCNRH may also be subject to legislative requirements regarding the retention of certain types of information.
CCNRH utilises a variety of social media channels to communicate events which occur within its long-term care and retirement homes. This communication is intended to provide various stakeholders with current information. CCNRH reserves the right to monitor, block and remove access to specific users should posted content not meet the organizations Code of Ethics and Conduct.
Changes to This Privacy Statement
CCNRH may at its discretion amend this Privacy Statement at any time. Changes to this statement will be communicated via this website and where applicable under laws. by law.
Questions and Information concerning Caressant Care Nursing and Retirement Home Privacy Practices
Please contact CCNRH's Privacy Officer with any questions or concerns you have about this Statement or CCNRH's manner in which it handles of your personal information. The Privacy Officer for the organization will investigate and respond to your concerns.
Caressant Care Nursing and Retirement Homes, Ltd.
264 Norwich Avenue
Woodstock, Ontario N4S 3V9
Individuals may also direct concerns or complaints regarding CCNRH's compliance with the Ontario Personal Health Information Protection Act to:
Information and Privacy Commission of Ontario
2 Bloor Street East, Suited 1400
Toronto, Ontario M4W 1A8
Toll-free (in Ontario): 1-800-387-0073
Fax: (416) 326-9195