Statement regarding COVID-19
For the last few months, COVID-19 (Coronavirus) has dominated the news cycle and caused concern in our communities and across the globe. The care and safety of our Residents, Staff members and Families is our top priority. I am writing to assure you that we take the COVID-19 situation very seriously and we are following Public Health Authority directives to ensure everyone's safety.
Visitor restrictions have been directed by the Medical Officer of Health as of March 14. The ministry has identified "essential visitors" as those who have a resident who is dying or very ill. No other visitors will be permitted to enter these premises; instead we ask to keep in touch with loved ones by phone or other technologies, as available. We understand the importance of staying in touch with your friends and family members.
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is an illness caused by a new coronavirus first discovered in Wuhan China. Common signs of COVID-19 infection include fever, respiratory symptoms, cough and sneezing. In more severe cases, infection can cause shortness of breath, pneumonia and respiratory failure requiring a ventilator. More severe cases are seen in older people and those with pre-existing medical problems.
What is Caressant Care doing about COVID-19?
We work closely with Public Health Authorities following their directives such as screening all Residents, Staff and visitors to our homes. Our Staff are trained and prepared and have measures in place to protect everyone's safety including:
- Securing sufficient Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for all staff
- Distributing educational materials on COVID-19 to our team members, including current information from the Public Health Agency of Canada
- Live screening of everyone coming to our LTC and Retirement Homes all staff and contractors
- Reminders that hand hygiene is the most effective way to prevent the spread of infections
- Continued daily monitoring of the Ministry of Health, Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) and World Health Organization directives regarding required responses to COVID-19 Reminding visitors that all non-essential visits to our home are suspended
Enhanced cleaning is done on a continuous basis. Activities and programs will continue in our Long Term Care and Retirement Homes in small group settings to keep our Residents happy, their favorite meals will be served, and loving care will continue to be given.
We remain committed to keeping everyone safe. We operate under protocols established by Public Health Authorities.
We very much appreciate the support of all our communities at this time and appreciate how helpful you have been and your understanding of the importance of our need to follow the measures imposed as a proactive means of ensuring the health and safety of everyone.
Thank you for your continued cooperation.
Chief Operating Officer